Project Kick-off - The launch of an innovative project to foster OI across Europe
The INVITE consortium partners successfully kicked-off the project activities in Thessaloniki, Greece on the 25th and 26th of September 2017.
INVITE envisages to set a well-connected European Open Innovation (OI) ecosystem, in which knowledge meaningfully flows across borders and is translated into marketable innovations, bringing increased socio-economic benefits to EU citizens. To achieve this end, INVITE will co-design, pilot and demonstrate a Pan-European service platform, the Open Innovation Lab (OI2LAB), aiming to: (i) better link the currently fragmented innovation systems of the EU by facilitating meaningful cross-border knowledge flows; (ii) empower EU businesses with the skill-sets required to tap into Europe’s knowledge-base and turn it into value; and (iii) increase the participation of private investors in OI and collaborative innovation projects.
This will help:
- Spark new open innovation projects between knowledge seekers and providers across borders via online collaboration spaces (Virtual Human Capital Mobility).
- Empower SMEs with the skills required to tap into the potential of open innovation via a series of e-learning courses.
- Attract private financing in open innovation projects by leveraging smaller amounts of public funds.
- Use measures such as open innovation support services and different ICT tools to facilitate open innovation.
The Open Innovation Lab will build a vibrant community of OI actors and stakeholders (including academia, government, industry and civil society) along the way. The valuable knowledge, evidence and experiences gained through the experiments of the Open Innovation Lab will be diffused across Europe so as to fuel replication and scale-up for the benefit of the European economy and society as a whole.
During the two-day meeting, the INVITE partners had the opportunity to discuss various upcoming project activities and outputs in depth. Examined discussion topics included the project’s quality assurance, work plan and foreseen for the co-creation of Open Innovation Lab, set up of an Advisory Board, principles for engagement of a multi-stakeholders community, the project branding concept as well as parameters for an effective dissemination strategy. The meeting also facilitated partner introductions and provided an insight into experiences related to their participation.
The meeting concluded with a well-established action plan for the upcoming months of the project and before starting the implementation of the services and tools to be deployed by INVITE:
- Set up and start operating INVITE dissemination channels
- Identification of user needs and validation by conduction of stakeholders interviews
- Conducting user interview to identify their important needs to be integrated in our Open Innovation Lab
- Validation of the findings through a co-creation workshop involving INVITE’s Advisory Board and other key stakeholders
The project will last 36 months (01 September 2017 – 31 August 2020) and is co-funded by the European Union under the Horizon 2020 Programme - “Europe in a changing world - Inclusive, Innovative and Reflective Societies” under grant agreement no 763651.
Are you interested by Open Innovation or by upcoming activities and news about INVITE, please follow us on our social media channels or subscribe to our newsletter.
Linkedin page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/oi2lab